Hey lovers and friends <3 (Oh gosh I got that from Shan Booty, shit)
Today I wanted to talk about one of my fav summer dresses, not only of that season, but probably of all times. What I figured out is that simple things mostly work the best. Here are some key points I was looking for in a dress and all of them I found:
- It’s white – obviously. There is probably no other color that has the capacity of making it look more like summer yet keeping it classy and elegant and not too loud. It makes your tan work (and for me that’s like the hardest achievement haha) and I HATE loud patterns and too many colors – I mean I love them from an artistic point of view and I would def dress my models like that for a shoot – but on myself, it’s the worst. I will look like a drag queen immediately. So it’s good if you wanna distract from flaws, but that’s not what we’re here for 🙂
- The length. I love love love maxi dresses. Short and too tight dresses look hoochy – and are so 2006. Long, flowing fabrics look very feminine, put together and elegant at the same time and even if it’s a very simple dress, every time I wear it, just because it’s comfy af (this should be point number 3 actually) I get all the stares like crazy.
- It’s off shoulder! Probably the biggest trend this year, and hopefully the following years! But it still has straps! OMG I was so happy about that! So you can still wear your bra underneath hahaha
- It has some transparent details around the waist and most important – a slit! I loooove maxi dresses with a slit! It makes the fabric flow so much nicer and shows off your legs, and the real reason: you don’t walk like a Geisha.
- As it all looks so put together (because there was no need to pair three different pieces, what makes room for many mistakes) you can focus more on make up and accessories! And the make-up part is such a big deal for me! As a make-up artist I looove fancy and over-the-top make-up but guess what? I can’t wear it myself! My facial features are really popping even without and my colors (of eyes, skin and hair) are so light that I will look like a drag queen in max 5 minutes. I could cry. I still do it every now and then, because a) I’m feeling like it and b) I’m a free person – although I know it doesn’t look nearly as good as nude make-up on me. But just for the sake of art and because I wanted to go for it. So that’s why simple one-piece clothes like a long jumpsuit or a maxi dress which are kept in a subdued color are my rescue! Here I paired a black smokey eye with a bold red lipstick (ABH in american doll, my go to color when it comes to reds) and it still looks kinda minimalistic.
I would have went for nude, too. But as almost all of my clothes and dresses are nude anyway, I wanted to to try something different. And as I’m freaking out about white this season anyway, I thought why not. I must admit, as a kid I haaaated white, I really burned all of my clothes that were not black and made fun of all of my girlfriends who wore white because it looked sooo girly and not cool enough like black. Gosh I was such a tomboy! Don’t wanna know what my 16-years-old-self would have said to my sudden change 🙂
Honestly I’m still kinda struggling with white – while I was trying on this dress in a store in Canada I figured out I would totally not buy it because it was so long and so white and I looked in it like a ghost walking through a castle in the middle of the night. Because I was really unsure about it I went out looking for my friend to ask her opinion, and in those couple of minutes I got stopped like 5 times and asked where I got this dress from and how beautiful it was on me. I’m only telling this story to make you guys know that you should try new things and that it’s mostly about perception and even more about habits, big time! This is how our human minds are wired. Everything we’re used to, is perceided as good, but it’s just what we’re used to 🙂